Friday, May 31, 2013

Guess Who is One?!?!

Did these for a friend's little boy's 1st birthday.  The party is tomorrow, so I really should wait before posting the pics, but it isn't like anyone actually sees my little piece of blogdom anyway.  Although they turned out really cute, the icing colors dried very, very differently than what I'd had in mind.  Fortunately my friend is super easy-going and said she trusted my judgment if I thought they still looked okay.  I also loved that she just let me run with it - gave me only colors she wanted me to use and let me do my thing, which I love, instead of trying to make something very specific.

This is how they dried.  See, they still look pretty cute, but the colors are so different than the wet version below.

The colors while they were still wet were more what I had in mind, but am still happy with the dried result above.

I'd been looking for the perfect #1 cutter for a couple of months now and found one I really liked called Fancy 1 Cutter from Cheap Cookie Cutters.com, but they were out of stock on it and they never responded to my email regarding making a special order for that cutter, although I did get a response pretty quickly through their facebook page, but it told me to email the question.  So as the time grew closer I ended up settling for a very simple #1 that didn't have a base on it that I picked up at a local bakery supply.  So I cut out twice as many 1's as I needed and cut off the tops of 1/2 of them and then cut out a notch with the bottom of the cutter so that the pieces would fit snugly onto the bottoms of the simple 1's to create a base for them.

You can see the ugly undecorated 1's in this shot and how I notched out the base to attach it to the simple #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment